[lttng-dev] babeltrace 1.2.2 and python3

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Fri Aug 15 13:50:52 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Thibault, Daniel
<Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>    The babeltrace 1.2.2 README suggests the python3-dev package and states configure need only be called with the enable-python-bindings option.
>
>    However, my configure log (on a system with python3-dev (and therefore python3) and swig2.0 installed) reads in part:
>
> checking for swig... no
> checking for swig2.0... /usr/bin/swig2.0
> checking SWIG version... 2.0.4
> checking for SWIG library... /usr/share/swig2.0
> checking for python... /usr/bin/python
> checking for python version... 2.7
> checking for python platform... linux2
> checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> checking for python extension module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> checking for python2.7-config... /usr/bin/python2.7-config
> checking python include flags... -I/usr/include/python2.7 -I/usr/include/python2.7
>
>    I get the impression the "wrong" version of python is being bound to.  Is this what the export of PYTHON and PYTHON_CONFIG is meant to fix?

The configure step will check for the system's default Python
interpreter which, in your case, seems to be Python 2.7.
The PYTHON and PYTHON_CONFIG variables can be used to override the
default system configuration and point to a Python 3 interpreter, as
indicated in the README:

  If you want Python bindings, run ./configure --enable-python-bindings.
  Please note that some distributions will need the following
  environment variables set before running configure:

    export PYTHON="python3"
    export PYTHON_CONFIG="/usr/bin/python3-config"

Regards,
Jérémie

> Daniel U. Thibault
> Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) | Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
> Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) | Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
> RDDC - Centre de recherches de Valcartier | DRDC - Valcartier Research Centre
> 2459 route de la Bravoure
> Québec QC  G3J 1X5
> CANADA
> Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
> Fax : (418) 844-4538
> NAC : 918V QSDJ <http://www.travelgis.com/map.asp?addr=918V%20QSDJ>
> Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada
> <http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>

Jérémie Galarneau