[lttng-dev] Announcing sysdig: a new take on system instrumentation

Loris Degioanni loris at degio.org
Thu Apr 3 14:49:46 EDT 2014

Thank you David.

We did consider the lttng toolchain, but we ended up building our own
driver for a couple of reasons:

- we do some custom work encoding events in the kernel so that they're
ready to be consumed at user level
- we perform some additional work in the kernel (e.g. resolving network
FD into tuples)
- our use case is currently requires a pretty small subset of the lttng
instrumentation facilities

But we really love lttng, so I don't exclude taking a better look in the
future, and looking into bridging the gaps as you propose. :-)

Filtering the activity of a specific process is quite easy and can be
done with

sysdig proc.name=MYAPP
or
sysdig proc.pid=MYPID

Use
sysdig -l for a list of filtering fields that you can use.

Loris