[lttng-dev] Announcing sysdig: a new take on system instrumentation

David Goulet dgoulet at efficios.com
Thu Apr 3 14:11:53 EDT 2014

Hi Loris,

I have to say that I'm quite impress with the analysis tool you guys
have (Chisel).

Quick very useful command for monitoring use cases, very nice stuff.

Question time! Have you at some point consider using LTTng toolchain for
the tracing part? Using the lttng-modules for your probes, lttng-ctl for
tracing control, etc... ?

There is one thing I can see that you do have that we don't and it's the
ability to extract the data from the syscall payload so I guess that
might have been a limitation with LTTng. I'm curious what are you tought
on LTTng vis-a-vis sysdig.

Do you have plans to have support for "sysdig MYAPP" like strace does
which would filter events based on MYAPP pid/name? Because with that, we
can retire strace :). This is something we are working towards with
LTTng, a "lttng trace MYAPP" command that live print the trace.

Your project is quite close to some LTTng features so I'm wondering here
how can we bridge the gaps (if we can).

Anyway, good job and congrats for this first release! :)

Cheers!
David