[lttng-dev] Exclusion event support patches

Ikaheimonen, JP jp_ikaheimonen at mentor.com
Mon Sep 30 01:16:02 EDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Thibault, Daniel [mailto:Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca]
Sent: 27. syyskuuta 2013 16:14
To: lttng-dev at lists.lttng.org
Cc: Ikaheimonen, JP
Subject: RE: [lttng-dev] Exclusion event support patches

-----Message d'origine-----
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:14:24 +0000
From: "Ikaheimonen, JP" <jp_ikaheimonen at mentor.com>

>> The exclusions are embedded into the event name so that internally,
>> the event name will be
>>
>> 'a*ac*,ad*'

>   This takes advantage of the current wildcard restriction: the asterisk can only appear once in the name, at the end of the string -an asterisk is thus a string terminator.  This means that the exclusions in the name actually don't need a comma either!  The internal event name for 'a*' --exclude 'ac*,ad*' could thus be:

>'a*ac*ad*'

>> This new scheme of the event name string is parsed and handled wherever necessary. This implementation poses new restrictions to event names:
>> 1) An event name must not contain the character '*'.
>> 2) An event name can contain a ',' character, but you cannot use it in the exclusion specification.

>   If we used this format, this restriction on comma use would be dropped.

The excluded events may be single events, and not necessarily end in wildcards.
Consider
lttng enable-event 'a*' --exclude 'a1,a2,a3'

Here we need some sort of separator.

JP Ikaheimonen | SW Development Engineer http://go.mentor.com/sourceryanalyzer
Mentor Embedded(tm) | Nucleus(r) | Linux(r) | Android(tm) | Services | UI | Multi-OS
Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions.
Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.