[lttng-dev] Exclusion event support patches

Thibault, Daniel Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Sep 27 09:13:50 EDT 2013

-----Message d'origine-----
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:14:24 +0000
From: "Ikaheimonen, JP" <jp_ikaheimonen at mentor.com>

> The exclusions are embedded into the event name so that internally, the event name will be
>
> 'a*ac*,ad*'

   This takes advantage of the current wildcard restriction: the asterisk can only appear once in the name, at the end of the string -an asterisk is thus a string terminator.  This means that the exclusions in the name actually don't need a comma either!  The internal event name for 'a*' --exclude 'ac*,ad*' could thus be:

'a*ac*ad*'

> This new scheme of the event name string is parsed and handled wherever necessary. This implementation poses new restrictions to event names:
> 1) An event name must not contain the character '*'.
> 2) An event name can contain a ',' character, but you cannot use it in the exclusion specification.

   If we used this format, this restriction on comma use would be dropped.

> 3) If you use exclusions, the lengths of their names count against the total maximum allowed length of the event name.

Daniel U. Thibault
Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) | Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) | Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) | Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
2459 route de la Bravoure
Québec QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245