[lttng-dev] Getting function names with lttng-ust-cyg-profile.so

Amit Margalit AMITM at il.ibm.com
Wed Sep 11 05:12:30 EDT 2013

I agree with Paul, that no redundant data gets replicated with his
approach, and my only concern is that this approach really forces a viewer
to be sequential.

Maybe "forces" is too strong a word - but a viewer than wants to let you
"roam" the trace freely will have to read the entire trace to figure out
the mapping between address and symbol at each point in time.

At this time, we keep 10GB worth of LTTng traces in our system, but future
models will certainly use more. A user asking to go to the end of the
trace will have to wait until the entire trace is read in order to see
correct translations.

I have a different solution, which I think I have explained here before:
http://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2013-August/021263.html

I vote for adding this to the metadata. It can be in addition to the
ust_baddr events suggeted by Paul.

Amit

Amit Margalit
IBM XIV - Storage Reinvented