[lttng-dev] Getting function names with lttng-ust-cyg-profile.so

Woegerer, Paul Paul_Woegerer at mentor.com
Tue Sep 10 11:45:25 EDT 2013

On 09/10/2013 05:37 PM, Matthew Khouzam wrote:
> On 13-09-10 03:00 AM, Woegerer, Paul wrote:
>> Hi Alexandre,
>>
>> For trivial examples you can go with 'nm -CS' (or the like), but when
>> you start to use liblttng-ust-cyg-profile.so in combination with shared
>> objects you will need to record base address information as well (to
>> allow you map a virtual memory address at a given point in time to
>> offset and path of a shared object (or executable)).
>>
>> That is one of the reasons why I have submitted:
>> http://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2013-August/021264.html
> This is a very interesting approach, +1 from me on that.

Thanks.

With that approach no redundant data (that is already available as
debuginfo) gets replicated in the actual trace data.
Only the bare minimum of information gets traced to allow you at any
time to map a VM address to a debuginfo address + debuginfo location.

--
Paul Woegerer, SW Development Engineer
Sourcery Analyzer <http://go.mentor.com/sourceryanalyzer>