[lttng-dev] Current Trace File Location

Michael Steppe msteppe91 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 11:59:04 EDT 2013

Hello,

I am not sure if this is where I ask my questions to the developers but I
thought I'd give it a go.

I am able to create a kernel trace, enable all events for the trace, start,
stop and destroy the trace. But let's say I have two traces running on the
same machine:

[user at localhost ~]$ lttng create trace1
[user at localhost ~]$ lttng create trace2
[user at localhost ~]$ lttng create trace3

As I am sure you know, the .lttngrc file is populated with ONLY the latest
created trace name (trace3).

Now let's say I change my mind after creating these traces and wish to
destroy them all. If I use the destroy command...

[user at localhost ~]$ lttng destroy

...with no argument, it defaults to the .lttngrc file and destroys trace3 as
well as the .lttngrc file. This means that the next time I run lttng
destroy I get the error that it cannot find the .lttngrc file and asks if I
created a session. Well we still have trace1 and trace2 in the background
somewhere because if I try to:

[user at localhost ~]$ lttng create trace1

I get told that there is already a trace with that name.

My question to you is, where are all the traces stored until they are
destroyed? LTT obviously knows that trace1 and trace2 are still "running"
because it won't let me create another with the same name until I destroy
it. I know that I could say:

[user at localhost ~]$ lttng destroy trace1
[user at localhost ~]$ lttng destroy trace2

but I am writing an Eclipse plugin to do this tracing without the terminal
so the trace name will be based off of the time of day the user runs it and
therefore I cannot hardcode the name in.

Is there a "destroy all" command that I am missing?

Thanks!!
Michael