[lttng-dev] make a trace_event in a module (driver)

Thibault, Daniel Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Nov 21 09:23:08 EST 2013

> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:48:59 +0100
> From: Klaus Dannecker <klaus.dannecker at gmx.de>
>
> now i have ubuntu 13.10 installed  in a vmware.
> but i have the same error!
>
>$ sudo make modules_install
> make -C /lib/modules/3.11.0-12-generic/build
> M=/home/klaus/lttng_src/lttng-modules modules_install
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.11.0-12-generic'
>   INSTALL /home/klaus/lttng_src/lttng-modules/lib/lttng-lib-ring-buffer.ko
> Can't read private key
> lsmod | grep lttng
> -> no module found

   This seems to be a problem with Ubuntu 13, which now requires kernel modules to be signed (or is this a kernel 3.8.5 feature/requirement?).  It is surprisingly hard to find a simple workaround on the Web (I gave up after a while).  Some threads seem to indicate the error can be ignored, so it may just be a matter of making sure the 'make modules_install' doesn't give up at that point.  Another possibility may be to install the kernel's "Linux Kernel Archives Verification Key" GPG key (see e.g. http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=linux:kernelbuilding): 'gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 0x517D0F0E'

Daniel U. Thibault
Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) | Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) | Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) | Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
2459 route de la Bravoure
Québec QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245