[lttng-dev] Overwrite mode, lost events, and reader behaviour

Thibault, Daniel Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 20 10:38:28 EST 2013

-----Message d'origine-----
Envoyé : 20 novembre 2013 09:44

> We don't use the timestamps for this. Each packet has a sequence number given by the producer, and the reader is querying for packets by requesting sequence numbers
> (increasing by one each time). In the case you present here, the reader will try to query the sequence number of an overwritten packet, and will therefore not be able to get it.
> It will move on to the next packet until it finally finds the first packet which sequence number matches its current sequence number (or the writer position).

   So my original suggestion holds: performance could increase just a little bit (on the reader side) if the reader's request (lib_ring_buffer_get_subbuf, is it?) did not return -EAGAIN but rather the current "earliest available sequence number" it should next ask for.  In the (presumably rare) case where the reader has been passed by the writers by several sub-buffer sequence numbers' worth, this would allow the reader to skip ahead to the next likely-to-succeed sequence number request.  Does this make sense?

Daniel U. Thibault
Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) | Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) | Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) | Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
2459 route de la Bravoure
Québec QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245