[lttng-dev] About Lttng trace mode

XIANG Hao Hao.Xiang at alcatel-sbell.com.cn
Thu Nov 14 08:24:16 EST 2013

Hi, Dear Lttng Expert

         I am a beginner of the great tool: Lttng. We haven't so much target board memory for it. So I have some questions as below, could you please help me, thanks!

         Could Lttng support transmit trace to host PC in a "live mode" or "fly mode" now? So as to reduce the buffer size requirement on the target board.

         BTW, I read some material mentioned:
The discard mode is used by default. In this mode, new trace data arriving to a full buffer are discarded. In overwrite mode, the oldest trace data in the buffer are discarded. This mode is also known as flight-recorder mode. Note however, that this refers to the internal buffers, not to the trace log storage. The discarding of events is marked in the trace log and can be noticed when the trace is analyzed. In this way the user can interactively adjust his trace settings.
         What is the difference between "internal buffers" and "trace log storage"? Could the trace log storage be located in the host PC? For example: the target board transmit the trace to Host PC via TCP/UDP, and only a very little internal flight-recorder buffer is required in the target device. Is it feasible?

BR&Thanks
XiangHao

ALCATEL-LUCENT SHANGHAI BELL
No.255 Guiqiao Road, Pudong, Shanghai, China
ZIP: 201206

OnNET: 2783.7051
Phone: +86.21.38563888.7051
Fax  : +86.21.38563400