[lttng-dev] Using userspace tracepoints with icc

Raphaël Beamonte raphael.beamonte at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 23:50:21 EST 2013

Hello folks,

A few weeks ago, I was working on an application which used icc (the
Intel C Compiler) to compile its sources. I wanted to trace it but
wasn't able to compile with the tracepoints, the ".c" file was spawning
a ": internal error: backend signal" from icc. Still, there is a
workaround to be able to trace.

Using gcc to compile the tracepoints (or using the object file generated
by lttng-gen-tp, which uses gcc) and linking the object file to the
application worked like a charm. It is not the best way as it forces to
use two different compilers, but it still allows to trace.

Just thought I'd share this workaround if someone else search how to use
LTTng-UST with icc.

Raphaël