[lttng-dev] Quick question about discarded events

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Tue Nov 5 20:44:13 EST 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Thibault, Daniel <
Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

> ------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 14:32:02 +0100
> From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?David_Lindstr=F6m?="
>         <david.lindstrom at percepio.se>
>
> > If I encounter a trace where a packet contains the events_discarded field
> > with a non-zero value, I want to warn/notify the user. Were the events
> > discarded before the timestamp_begin of the packet, after timestamp_end
> or
> > in between? I basically want to plot some symbol on my timeline
> > approximately where the user can expect bad/missing data.
> >
> > Mvh
> > David Lindstr?m
>
>    I do believe the events were lost in between the begin and end packet
> timestamps.

That's my interpretation too... which gives me an opportunity to bump bug
#589 [1].
It seems Babeltrace and TMF's interpretation of the specification differ on
this point. Mathieu can probably settle the debate ;)

Cheers,
Jérémie

[1] https://bugs.lttng.org/issues/589

> Daniel U. Thibault
> Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) | Systems Protection &
> Countermeasures (SPC)
> Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) | Mission Critical
> Cyber Security (MCCS)
> R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) | Defence R&D
> Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
> 2459 route de la Bravoure
> Québec QC  G3J 1X5
> CANADA
> Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
> Fax : (418) 844-4538
> NAC : 918V QSDJ <http://www.travelgis.com/map.asp?addr=918V%20QSDJ>
> Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada
> <http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>

Jérémie Galarneau