[lttng-dev] Problem setting a filter during enable-event, when done shortly after add-context

Amit Margalit AMITM at il.ibm.com
Tue Jun 25 06:34:11 EDT 2013

Hi,

I seem to have a problem setting a filter during enable-event, which
happens in a script immediately after add-context succeeds. The error is
"Error: Invalid filter bytecode".

The sequence I am going through is in the following script excerpt:

lttng-sessiond with --no-kernel -v --verbose-consumer        >> logfile
2>&1
lttng create samba -o /local/traces/lttng/20130625114835     >> logfile
2>&1
lttng enable-channel channel0 -u \
                        --tracefile-size ${LTTNG_MAX_TRACE_FILE_SIZE} \
                        --tracefile-count ${LTTNG_MAX_FILES_PER_CORE} \
                        --buffers-uid \
                        --switch-timer 1000000 \
                        --num-subbuf 16 \
                        --subbuf-size 262144                 >> logfile
2>&1
lttng add-context -u -t procname -s samba -c channel0        >> logfile
2>&1
lttng enable-event -u -a --filter '$ctx.procname == "smbd" ||
$ctx.procname == "winbindd"'

The output is shown here (with the enable-event command-line reproduced:

Session samba created.
Traces will be written in /local/traces/lttng/20130625114835
UST channel channel0 enabled for session samba
UST context procname added to channel channel0
/usr/bin/lttng enable-event -u -a --filter '$ctx.procname=="smbd" ||
$ctx.procname=="winbindd"'
error syntax error
Parse error
Error: Invalid filter bytecode

If I try to wait after the failure for some time, I can run lttng
disable-event -u -a, and re-run the enable-event with the filter
successfully. But I tried to put the disable-event command in the script
and that didn't help - i.e. the "disable-event" command worked, but the
enable-event with filter still failed in the same way.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Amit Margalit
IBM XIV - Storage Reinvented