[lttng-dev] Working with lttng enable-channel

Avi Goren avi at reduxio.com
Mon Jun 24 10:28:26 EDT 2013

Hi,
I'm using lttng-ust and in the process of the attempt to gain some flush
frequency control I encountered a problem.
I'm having difficulties with the use of enable-channel.
it doesn't seem to apply property changes. here's an example:
root at ubuntu:~# lttng list
Currently no available tracing session
root at ubuntu:~# lttng create ses
Session ses created.
Traces will be written in /home/avig/lttng-traces/ses-20130624-163340
root at ubuntu:~# lttng enable-event -a -u -s ses -c ch
All UST events are enabled in channel ch
root at ubuntu:~# lttng disable-channel ch -u -s ses
UST channel ch disabled for session ses
root at ubuntu:~# lttng enable-channel ch -u --subbuf-size 1024 --num-subbuf 1
UST channel ch enabled for session ses
root at ubuntu:~# lttng list ses -c ch
Tracing session ses: [inactive]
    Trace path: /home/avig/lttng-traces/ses-20130624-163340

=== Domain: UST global ===

Buffer type: per PID

- ch: [enabled]

    Attributes:
      write mode: discard
      subbufers size: 4096 bytes
      number of subbufers: 4
      switch timer interval: 0 usec
      read timer interval: 0 usec
      output: mmap()

    Events:
      * (type: tracepoint) [enabled]

root at ubuntu:~# lttng version
lttng version 2.2.0-rc2 - Cuda

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a way to control flushing policy besides the use of enable-channel?
Thanks,
Avi