[lttng-dev] [-stable 3.8.1 performance regression] madvise POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Mon Jun 17 10:13:57 EDT 2013

Hi,

CCing lkml on this,

* Yannick Brosseau (yannick.brosseau at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We discovered a performance regression in recent kernels with LTTng
> related to the use of fadvise DONTNEED.
> A call to this syscall is present in the LTTng consumer.
>
> The following kernel commit cause the call to fadvise to be sometime
> really slower.
>
> Kernel commit info:
> mm/fadvise.c: drain all pagevecs if POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED fails to discard
> all pages
> main tree: (since 3.9-rc1)
> commit 67d46b296a1ba1477c0df8ff3bc5e0167a0b0732
> stable tree: (since 3.8.1)
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit?id=bb01afe62feca1e7cdca60696f8b074416b0910d
>
> On the workload test, we observe that the call to fadvise takes about
> 4-5 us before this patch is applied. After applying the patch, The
> syscall now takes values from 5 us up to 4 ms (4000 us) sometime. The
> effect on lttng is that the consumer is frozen for this long period
> which leads to dropped event in the trace.

We use POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED in LTTng so the kernel know it's not useful
to keep the trace data around after it is flushed to disk. From what I
gather from the commit changelog, it seems that the POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED
operation now touches kernel data structures shared amongst processors
that have much higher contention/overhead than previously.

How does your page cache memory usage behave prior/after this kernel
commit ?

Also, can you try instrumenting the "count", "start_index" and
"end_index" values within fadvise64_64 with commit
67d46b296a1ba1477c0df8ff3bc5e0167a0b0732 applied and log this though
LTTng ? This will tell us whether the lru_add_drain_all() hit is taken
for a good reason, or due to an unforeseen off-by-one type of issue in
the new test:

  if (count < (end_index - start_index + 1)) {