[lttng-dev] Question about TRACEPOINT_FORMAT

Amit Margalit AMITM at il.ibm.com
Tue Jun 4 03:41:23 EDT 2013

Hello,

I've read the discussion in the past about this suggested feature, and I'd
like to ask what has become of this. Is this still being considered? Has
anyone come up with an idea for a solution that does not include extending
CTF?

I understand that CTF doesn't support looking into the ELF binary, but
perhaps there is a way around this.

First, I'd like to explain what I wish to have, so that maybe a different
solution could be suggested -
In all, migration from an existing log-to-file system for existing
projects may push the entire formatted string as the trace entry.
We'd like to avoid storing the entire format string multiple times, as
this is wasteful, of course, and we'd like the viewer to be in charge of
performing the formatting.

I was wondering whether we could use CTF enums. The CTF specification for
enums doesn't say that the textual representation of the value has to be a
valid identifier. In fact, the example includes a quoted string.

An instrumentation tool could generate code that writes an enum
description into the metadata, where each value corresponds to a different
format string.

Thanks,

Amit Margalit
IBM XIV - Storage Reinvented