[lttng-dev] lttng-ust quick start?

Thibault, Daniel Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jan 14 12:30:37 EST 2013

-----Message d'origine-----
Envoyé : 11 janvier 2013 17:45

> > Turning to the Internet, I find https://github.com/giraldeau/lttng-ust/tree/master/doc/examples/easy-ust and grab the handful of files found there.
> > I then open a console within that directory and invoke make:
>
> Please use an official git repository such as: git://git.lttng.org/lttng-ust.git Or you can use a source distribution:
> http://lttng.org/files/lttng-ust/lttng-ust-2.1.0.tar.bz2
>
> Normally this example should be installed in /usr/share/doc/lttng-ust/examples/easy-ust or /usr/local/share/doc/lttng-ust/examples/easy-ust in your case.
>
> Christian
-----Fin du message d'origine-----

   Part of my point is that the Ubuntu distribution is broken because it does not install the easy-ust files.  I have neither /usr/share/doc/lttng-ust/ nor /usr/local/share/doc/ directories on my machines.

   Note that Googling for "easy-ust" finds no git repositories except for the one I quoted.

   The Ubuntu distribution (liblttng-ust0) is 2.0.2, but it is nevertheless not self-consistent because the man pages it installs for lttng-ust(3) mention easy-ust.  Could it be an lttng-ust distribution was (is) planned for Ubuntu but hasn't made it "out there" yet, and the lttng-ust man pages were included in liblttng-ust0 by accident?

   There is a nearly complete mismatch between the Ubuntu lttng packages and the lttng.org git repository, which is not conducive to one adding the contents of the latter to what's installed by the former:

Ubuntu                                     lttng.org git

liblttng-ctl-dev
liblttng-ctl0
liblttng-ust-dev
liblttng-ust0
liburcu-dev
liburcu1
lttng-modules-dkms     lttng-modules.git
lttng-tools                         lttng-tools.git
                                              lttng-ust.git
lttngtop                              lttngtop.git   (2.0?)

   I tried lttng-ust 2.0.2 (a367ee6) 2013-Apr-18 from http://git.lttng.org/.  Although lttng-ust itself compiles correctly (I only omitted the last step, 'sudo make install', in order to use the existing liblttng-ust 2.0.2 installation), easy-ust's make yields precisely the same error:

gcc -I. -c -o sample.o sample.c
gcc -I. -c -o tp.o tp.c
In file included from /usr/local/include/lttng/ust-tracepoint-event.h:496:0,
                 from /usr/local/include/lttng/tracepoint-event.h:40,
                 from sample_component_provider.h:135,
                 from tp.c:25:
././sample_component_provider.h:128:1: error: ‘__tp_loglevel_entry__sample_component___TRACE_WARNING’ undeclared here (not in a function)
make: *** [tp.o] Error 1

Daniel U. Thibault
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) / Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) / Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) / Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
2459 route de la Bravoure
Québec, QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
Fax : (418) 844-4538
[Valcartier]\\vsi-wdut-o980, [Secteur-SI]\\edge
NAC : 918V QSDJ <http://www.travelgis.com/map.asp?addr=918V%20QSDJ>
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada
<http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>
 LinkedIn: <http://ca.linkedin.com/in/daniel-u-thibault/>
 Research Gate: <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Daniel_Thibault/>