[lttng-dev] lttng with syslog and stdout

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Wed Dec 18 10:04:38 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Anand Neeli <anand.neeli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Here are some queries i have. Can someone please help me with them.
>
> 1) is there a way send selective traces from lttng to syslog; and should be
> configurable based on the priority. (say like i want to send all CRIT or
> EMRG traces to syslog)

Not directly. You could probably work something out by parsing the
output of babeltrace in "live" mode. Look at the --log-level option of
the lttng enable-event command in the lttng(1) man page to only record
events of certain log levels.

Be aware that LTTng can drop events under heavy loads; make sure that
is not a problem in your particular scenario.

> 2) is there a way to stdout the logs of lttng. (similar to above this should
> also be configurable based on the priority)

The live tracing mode, introduced in LTTng 2.4, seems to fit your
use-case with the aforementioned event-drop caveat.

Regards,
Jérémie

> What i'm trying here is to use syslog for critical messages and use stdout
> when debugging live.
>
> Please give me pointers if this is already there.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Anand Neeli

Jérémie Galarneau