[lttng-dev] [LTTNG][LTTng-ust] "Out of system" building patches.

Jimmy Durand jimmy.durand.wesolowski at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 15:42:15 EDT 2013

2013/8/24 Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>

> * Jimmy Durand (jimmy.durand.wesolowski at gmail.com) wrote:

> > > set
> > >
> > > Usually, setting CPPFLAGS/CFLAGS/LDFLAGS at configure time is enough,
> > > e.g.:
> > >
> > > LDFLAGS=/usr/local/lib ./configure
> > >
> > > What feature is this patchset adding that is not covered by the usual
> > > approach ? Or what is it fixing ?
> > >
> > Actually, this is enough for a regular system build, but if you wish to
> > build
> > it in another directory with --prefix=<PATH>, which is the case for
> cross-
> > compiling, this not enough.
>
> It might be a failure of my imagination but.. why is
> CPPFLAGS/CFLAGS/LDFLAGS not enough to get UST to fetch the dependencies
> it needs (e.g. userspace RCU) when they have been installed in
> non-standard paths (because e.g. userspace RCU has been configured with
> a --prefix path for sake of cross-compiling).

When building the doc/examples source directories, it seems that the
Makefiles are
not using the compiler and the flags set during the './configure' stage.

Can you give a more detailed use-case that CPPFLAGS/CFLAGS/LDFLAGS fail
> to cover ?

Yes, I will send it a complete use case Monday morning (UTC+1).

Thanks,

Thank you for the support,
--
Jimmy Durand Wesolowski
Linux System Engineer & amateur photographer