[lttng-dev] [LTTNG][LTTng-ust] "Out of system" building patches.

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Sat Aug 24 13:59:09 EDT 2013

* Jimmy Durand (jimmy.durand.wesolowski at gmail.com) wrote:
> 2013/8/22 Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>
>
> > * Jimmy Durand Wesolowski (jimmy.durand.wesolowski at gmail.com) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > Here are some patches to allow installing LTTng-ust out of the system
> > > directories, ie building with "./configure --prefix", without having to
> > set
> > > C/CPP/LDFLAGS at both the configure and the make building steps.
> >
> > Usually, setting CPPFLAGS/CFLAGS/LDFLAGS at configure time is enough,
> > e.g.:
> >
> > LDFLAGS=/usr/local/lib ./configure
> >
> > What feature is this patchset adding that is not covered by the usual
> > approach ? Or what is it fixing ?
> >
> Actually, this is enough for a regular system build, but if you wish to
> build
> it in another directory with --prefix=<PATH>, which is the case for cross-
> compiling, this not enough.

It might be a failure of my imagination but.. why is
CPPFLAGS/CFLAGS/LDFLAGS not enough to get UST to fetch the dependencies
it needs (e.g. userspace RCU) when they have been installed in
non-standard paths (because e.g. userspace RCU has been configured with
a --prefix path for sake of cross-compiling).

Can you give a more detailed use-case that CPPFLAGS/CFLAGS/LDFLAGS fail
to cover ?