[lttng-dev] LTTng UST vs Syslog, Printf...

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Wed Aug 21 10:24:57 EDT 2013

* Jim Dumont (jim.dumont at ericsson.com) wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Has anyone done a recent performance and characteristics comparison between lttngust with syslog and printf?   Things like memory & cpu footprint, tps, i/o, disk space...

Not that I am aware of.

> I found this Windriver comparison from 2011:
> https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fevents.linuxfoundation.org%2Fslides%2F2011%2Flinuxcon%2Flcna2011_wessel.pdf&ei=Y64TUu6qJqS62AXIqYCYCg&usg=AFQjCNF0Q05MytPYVNWBPnUjB9LEGJfQZA

This presentation uses UST 0.x. This is _old_: it predates LTTng 2.0.

> And if I recall correctly, LTTng UST team also did a printf comparison
> a while back, but was wondering if someone has done more recent
> prototyping?  Any comparisons with syslog?

Not at this point. It would be interesting to compare:

- lttng-ust, both in "discard" and "snapshot" modes,
vs
- printf with timestamp,
vs
- syslog

Especially on multi-core systems, with applications generating a _lot_
of log/trace data.