[lttng-dev] Is there a way to make LTTng use the same subbuffers for multiple processes?

Amit Margalit AMITM at il.ibm.com
Mon Apr 29 02:00:51 EDT 2013

This is excellent. We'll give it a try. Thank you,

Amit Margalit
IBM XIV - Storage Reinvented
XIV-NAS Development Team
Tel. 03-689-7774
Fax. 03-689-7230

From:   Michel Dagenais <michel.dagenais at polymtl.ca>
To:     Amit Margalit/Israel/IBM at IBMIL
Cc:     lttng-dev at lists.lttng.org
Date:   04/29/2013 04:32 AM
Subject:        Re: [lttng-dev] Is there a way to make LTTng use the same
subbuffers for multiple processes?

> Our system is a 12-core x86 (6-core + HT). If I take 4 subbuffers of
1MB, this means 4MB per
> process. As the number of processes rises, this becomes prohibitive.
> For example, we may need to support > 500 sub-processes ==> 500 * 4MB =
2GB -
> which is a bit too much.  Is there a way to tell LTTng to share the
sub-buffers with forked processes?

This is the number one feature listed in the changelog for lttng-tools and
UST for version 2.2. The first release candidate is out so you can try the
feature, and the final 2.2 version should not be too far away.

http://lttng.org/lttng-tools-220-rc1
- Add UST per UID buffers support