[lttng-dev] Is there a way to make LTTng use the same subbuffers for multiple processes?

Amit Margalit AMITM at il.ibm.com
Sun Apr 28 09:51:35 EDT 2013

Hi,

We're considering using LTTng as a logging / tracing solution for a
multi-process application, which spawns many sub-processes.

Our system is a 12-core x86 (6-core + HT). If I take 4 subbuffers of 1MB,
this means 4MB per process. As the number of processes rises, this becomes
prohibitive.

For example, we may need to support > 500 sub-processes ==> 500 * 4MB =
2GB - which is a bit too much.

Is there a way to tell LTTng to share the sub-buffers with forked
processes?

If not - how difficult would it be to add such support?

Thanks,

Amit Margalit
IBM XIV - Storage Reinvented
XIV-NAS Development Team