[lttng-dev] Some questions about Lttng

Zheng.Chang at emc.com Zheng.Chang at emc.com
Wed Jun 20 01:30:56 EDT 2012

My tsetbed is x86 32bit and lttng's version is 2.0.1. You're right. I can see the arguments now.

> > > 3. I looked into some UST examples and found here are three header
> > > files:  tracepoint.h, tracepoint-event.h and ust-tracepoint-event.h.
> > > They have some duplicated macro definitions like TRACEPOINT_EVENT.
> > >

> > The macros are quite complicated. Some includes files are included more
> > than once to generate various portion of the tracepoint code. So, my
> > advice here is to take a working example and adapt it to your needs.

> Good advice.

> > > And the examples includes all of these three header files despite no
> > > conflict here. Could someone help to explain the intention?
> > >
> > > 4. Once I defined a tracepoint in my code, seems some initializations
> > > would register default probe into the hook point.  How to disable the
> > > default probe and  register my self-defined probes?
> > >

> > You mean, call a custom function when tracepoint is executed? Maybe
> > somebody else has an answer, but AFAIK this is not possible. But you
> > could make a wrapper to your tracepoint and then call your additional
> > function there.

> Yep, not possible. You'd have to wrap the tracepoint.

> > > 5. Does lttng-ust support dynamic traceing like kprobe?
> > >

> > AFAIK, the kernel tracer supports kprobe, but not UST. Maybe somebody
> > else can confirm/infirm the dynamic tracepoint feature in user-space?

> This is correct.

> Thanks,

> Mathieu

> > You can use a feature of GCC to regiter callback on function entry and
> > exit, but since it executes for all functions, then the overhead is very
> > high. You can have a look here:
> >
> > https://github.com/giraldeau/workload-kit/blob/master/ust/cyg.c
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Francis

And here are some subsequent questions about lttng:

6. Does lttng-ust support marker? Marker is easier to be compatible with the APIs like printf if we don't care its performance issue.
7. What's supposed to show with 'lttng list -u'? It's empty now. Is that possible to show the events defined in an application?
8. What does disable-event command of lttng do? With the example(hello) provided by lttng-ust, I enabled all events with '-a -u' and then disabled them again.  I launched the example with gdb and dumped the tracepoint's structure and then found its state was active. It's supposed to be inactive here, right? BTW: I didn't see any trace generated here with view command.

Thanks all for your useful info!

Best regards
Zheng