[lttng-dev] Lttng start failed

Pavan Anumula pavan.anumula at sasken.com
Wed Jun 13 07:45:44 EDT 2012

Hi David,

I am still unable to  see any traces when running the /tests/demo application in UST.
Please find as much detail as I can give you below:

We are using UST version 2.0.1
We are using userspace-rcu version 0.6.7
We are using modules version 2.0.2
We are using tools version 2.0.1

The Kernel version of 2.6.33.7 and we have applied the patches for 2.6.32 as supplied by Yannick Brosseau.

The kernel is built with the following LTTNG configuration options:
CONFIG_KPROBES is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_KPROBES=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KRETPROBES=y
CONFIG_TRACEPOINTS=y
CONFIG_HAVE_SYSCALL_TRACEPOINTS  is not set
CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS is not set

I have booted and issued the following commands:

root at arago:~# arm-none-linux-gnueabi-lttng-sessiond -d /* To start a deamon */
root at arago:~# arm-none-linux-gnueabi-lttng create xyz
Session xyz created.
Traces will be written in /home/root/lttng-traces/xyz-20110326-104303.
root at arago:~# arm-none-linux-gnueabi-lttng enable-event -k -a
All kernel events are enabled in channel channel0
root at arago:~# arm-none-linux-gnueabi-lttng start
LTTng: Failure to write metadata to buffers (timeout)
Error: Starting kernel trace failed

********* The output of lsmod   After loading  lttng modules before executing  the lttng commands to trace***********
root at arago:~# lsmod

lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_client     4146  0
lttng_ring_buffer_client_overwrite     9226  0
lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_overwrite     9234  0
lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard     7826  0
lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard     7822  0
lttng_probe_timer       6699  0
lttng_probe_signal      3332  0
lttng_probe_sched       6649  0
lttng_probe_lttng       1086  0
lttng_tracer           24543  9 lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_client,lttng_ring_buffer_client_overwrite,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_overwrite,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard,lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard,lttng_probe_timer,lttng_probe_signal,lttng_probe_sched,lttng_probe_lttng
lttng_statedump         3587  1 lttng_tracer
lttng_lib_ring_buffer    31358  6 lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_client,lttng_ring_buffer_client_overwrite,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_overwrite,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard,lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard,lttng_tracer

******************The new output of lsmod after executing trace commands**********************

Module                  Size  Used by
lttng_probe_statedump     5848  7
lttng_probe_irq         2100  3
lttng_types              932  0
lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_mmap_client     4150  0
lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_client     4146  1
lttng_ring_buffer_client_overwrite     9226  0
lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_overwrite     9234  0
lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard     7826  0
lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard     7822  1
lttng_probe_timer       6699  12
lttng_probe_signal      3332  4
lttng_probe_sched       6649  12
lttng_probe_lttng       1086  1
lttng_tracer           24543  53 lttng_probe_statedump,lttng_probe_irq,lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_mmap_client,lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_client,lttng_ring_buffer_client_overwrite,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_overwrite,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard,lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard,lttng_probe_timer,lttng_probe_signal,lttng_probe_sched,lttng_probe_lttng
lttng_statedump         3587  1 lttng_tracer
lttng_lib_ring_buffer    31358  9 lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_mmap_client,lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_client,lttng_ring_buffer_client_overwrite,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_overwrite,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard,lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard,lttng_tracer

The /lttng-traces/xyz-20110326-104303 is empty with no traces(only folder named kernel got created).

In /dev, there is no lttng entry.

In /proc, there is a file called lttng but when trying to print is says:
root at arago:~/lttng-traces/xyz-20110326-104303/kernel# cat /proc/lttng
cat: read error: Input/output error

Thanks in Advance,
Pavan