[lttng-dev] workload-kit: generating a standard trace set

Francis Giraldeau francis.giraldeau at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:08:23 EDT 2012

Hi,

To validate trace analysis algorithms, some traces with known features
are required. Then, a unit test can be made to check if the algorithm
works well. For example, for the algorithm that recovers the CPU usage,
a trace with an identifiable process that computes for a known amount of
time is needed. The problem is that everyone has it's own set of traces,
often made in ad-hoc fashion. In the past, such trace have been added to
the source control system, but because of the large size and the binary
nature of the files, it's not appropriate to do so. How can we share
this trace set? How can we regenerate it on-demand?

Here comes workload-kit! This project aims to be a collection of scripts
and utilities to generate a comprehensive and standard trace set.
Instead of storing traces in GIT, let's store the scripts and custom
programs to regenerate them on-demand and automatically. We can thus
generate the trace set on a daily basis for example.

For those that are interested in this project, here are the URLs.

Code: https://github.com/giraldeau/workload-kit
Releases: http://secretaire.dorsal.polymtl.ca/~fgiraldeau/workload-kit/
Ubuntu package: https://launchpad.net/~francis-giraldeau/+archive/ppa

It's pretty much the first announcement, so comments and suggestions are
welcome. Contributions to expand trace use-cases that you need for your
own testing are also welcome. See README for the more information.

Cheers,

Francis