[lttng-dev] Displaying graphical results

Bernd Hufmann Bernd.Hufmann at ericsson.com
Tue Jun 5 09:40:53 EDT 2012

Hi

We are currently finalizing the LTTng 2.0 Integration in Eclipse as part
of the Eclipse Juno release.

As I understood you are using the source code of Eclipse LTTng 2.0
integration. After starting the Eclipse application, switch to the
perspective "LTTng Kernel". By default the following views will show:

  * Project Explorer
    This view is for handling Tracing projects, traces and experiments.
    To start viewing a trace, use the New Project wizard of Eclipse to
    create "Tracing Project".  (Right mouse click in Project Explorer
    view -> New - Tracing Project). Then import a trace to the "Traces"
    sub-folder of you newly created project. (Right mouse click on
    folder "Traces"). You could also drag-&-drop a trace to the "Traces"
    sub-folder. Note that you need to select the the trace type during
    import (not drag&drop) or afterwards by using the context-sensitive
    menu on the trace (Right mouse-click on the trace -> Click on
    "Select Trace Type..." -> Common Trace Format -> Kernel Trace).
    After that you can open the trace.
  * Control
    This view is to create traces remotely using an SSH connection to a
    remote (or local) host. This if you want to create a session,
    enable/disable events or channels, start and stop tracing. You also
    can import create trace to your workspace
  * Events View
    This view contains a table displaying each event in a table form.
     From the top row you can search or filter events
  * Control Flow View
    This view shows the kernel control flow (process states over time).
    It uses internally a persistent state system which is create when
    you open the trace the first time. In this view you can zoom using
    cool bar buttons or mouse wheel. You can step from one event to the
    next/previous event per process using the relevant buttons.
  * Resources View
    This view shows you system resources such as CPUs, IRQs, Soft IRQs
    and their states over time. This view also uses the persistent state
    system I mentioned above. The buttons, zooming behaviour etc. are
    same as for the Control Flow View
  * Histogram View
    This view shows the event density (number of events over time). The
    big window shows the whole trace. The same one shows the current
    selected time range.
  * Statistics View
    This view shows you the total number events and number of events per
    event time of the whole trace
  * Bookmarks view
    Using the context-sensitive menu of the Events table you can
    bookmark events. In the bookmark view you can double-click on a
    bookmark and the event will be shown in the events table as well as
    in all other open LTTng views.

All views are synchronized. That means when selecting an event one of
the view, it will  be shown also in the other views. Additionally, when
changing the active time range (e.g. in the Histogram View), also the
Control Flow View/Resources View will show the new time range.

This was a brief introduction into what is coming up for the LTTng Juno.
Keep in mind, that there might be still some bugs, so I apologizes for
any glitches you may experience. These glitches will be fixed, as well
as a comprehensive User Guide will be available for the Juno release.

Best Regards
Bernd