[lttng-dev] Questions about CTF format

Diego Dompe ddompe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:49:57 EDT 2012

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for the help. Here is my list of details:

- Clocks: the spec doesn't explain properly that timestamps are an offset
from the base time of the clock they refer to. Since I was using 64bit
timestamps I somehow assumed that I was using absolute timestamps from the
epoch (although the spec doesn't says it either).

- I saw that the lttng-generated traces for metadata are always a multiple
of 4k in size (at least the ones I generate for either kernel or user
space). I can't find where in the spec it mentions requirements regarding
metadata packet padding. I was generating metadata packets that ended up
right after my TSDL and eclipse wasn't happy about it (although I didn't
try babeltrace). Also I found that the lttng-generated traces have a
"empty" metadata packet after the metadata containing the TSDL, I didn't
find either any documentation regarding this.

Regards,

Diego