[lttng-dev] Uprobe and extractor for coredump

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Thu Aug 9 10:02:40 EDT 2012

* Chang, Zheng (Zheng.Chang at emc.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Recently Linus merged uprobe into kernel mainline and perf has supported
> user-space dynamic tracing now.
>
> Is there any plan or motion on this with LTTng?

this would certainly be a nice feature! If you want to work on adding
support within lttng-modules and lttng-tools to enable tracing of
userspace through uprobes, it would certainly be welcome!

> I did some research on buffer management of LTTng. And I'm trying to
> figure out a way to extract trace info from coredump.
>
> Here is an immature idea about the extractor:
>
> -          Resolve the addresses of necessary symbols from coredump with
> binary format library/tool
>
> -          Restructure the data structures
>
> -          Following the data structures, dump the buffer data page by
> page
>

> Any good ideas or suggestions or concerns?

One main thing I want us to be careful about: if we do that, we need
some kind of versioning information in the tracer that can be checked by
the core dumper, so we can do changes internally without breaking the
code dump.

Thoughts ?