[lttng-dev] lttng create --output problem

David Goulet dgoulet at efficios.com
Tue Apr 3 17:22:56 EDT 2012

On 12-04-03 04:26 PM, Ettore Del Negro wrote:
> Hello,
> actually 'lttng create --output dir session_name' should at least create an
> empty directory with the chosen name. First of all try not to choose an already
> existing directory so you can check whether it is created or not.

Actually it does. If you type: lttng create test -o /tmp/test

/tmp/test is created and empty.

> Anyway, i just noticed a problem with relative paths:
> (~)> lttng
> LTTng Trace Control 2.0.0-rc2
> (~)> lttng create --output traces session
> Error: Create directory failed
> (~)> lttng create --output ./traces session
> Error: Create directory failed
> (~)> lttng create --output /root/traces session
> Session session created.
> Traces will be written in /root/traces

I've just tested it. The trace output directory, given without a full path, is
created at the $PWD of the session daemon. If the directory exist, it will
simply write the trace in it.

So, the error you have are probably related to a location you don't have write
access.....

I agree that the relative path could be handle better and use the current
directory of the user using "lttng".

Thanks!
David