[ltt-dev] [Lttng] Need help in running the Lttng on ARMv7 hardware with linux 2.6.35.7 kernel

Murali S R sr.muralidhar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 12:04:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers <
compudj at krystal.dyndns.org> wrote:

> * Murali S R (sr.muralidhar at gmail.com) wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am trying to run lttng on ARMv7 target with the following
> > Kernel --- linux 2.6.35.7 kernel and
> > Lttng Kernel Patch --- patch-2.6.35.7-lttng-0.232.tar.bz2
> > Modules --- lttng-modules-0.19.1.tar.bz2
> > Control Modules --- ltt-control-0.88-09242010.tar.gz
> >
> > Whenever i enable the statedump ( by loading the ltt-statedump module)
> and
> > run lttctl tracing ( lttctl -C -w /tmp/trace trace ),
> > immediately a log "LTT Statedump end" is thrown.
> >
> > After which i can still see some trace data being accumulated in the
> trace
> > path (/tmp/trace).
> >
> > Now if i close the tracing (lttctl -D trace) & try to view the trace
> using
> > lttv-gui, It gets terminated with segmentation fault error.
>
> What version of LTTV are you using ? Does it match your lttng-modules
> version as specified in the compatibility list on the lttng.org website
> download section ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mathieu
>

> > Can anyone help in letting me know where i am doing wrong.
> > Also, is there any means to trace only a particular module instead of
> entire
> > kernel.
> >
> > Thanks in advance :)
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Murali

> Mathieu Desnoyers
> Operating System Efficiency R&D Consultant
> EfficiOS Inc.
> http://www.efficios.com

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for the reply ... am using lttv version : 0.12.36, which is
compatible according to the compatibility list.
Also, one more thing what i observed is if i do not enable the statedump, i
am able to get the trace dump, which i can view in lttv-gui.

But that doesnt give any details on the process name ...

Is there anything i am missing ??

I followed the foll procedure :
1. downloaded and patched the lttng 0.232 version on 2.6.35.7
2. built the kernel and lttng modules and the ltt-control modules.
3. installed the modules on target.
4. then loaded all the required modules
5. started ltt-armall
6. exported the lttd path
7. then executed lttctl to create trace
8. after collecting the trace (without statedump) from the target onto my
pc,
i am able to view that trace in lttv on my computer.

--
Regards,
Murali