[ltt-dev] [UST] Instrumentation API changes done

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Fri Apr 22 14:33:08 EDT 2011

Hi,

I would appreciate if you could have a look at the API change
implementation I pushed into UST. For now, it should cover the most
critical parts. In its current state, I think the ust_marker() API is
pretty much final, so people can start using it for debug-only in their
application and expect it not to change. For the Tracepoints, the
DECLARE/DEFINE_TRACEPOINT will eventually become internal to
TRACEPOINT_EVENT(). We can expect further changes to the
TRACEPOINT_EVENT() API, as we will very likely need to change the other
macros that come with it.

While we are there, I am tempted to kill TRACEPOINT_EVENT_FN(), because
it was only needed for specific syscall tracing, and I don't really
expect to let the instrumentation to be controlled so closely by the
application code in user-space. Thoughts ?

Also, I'd really like to push a UST 0.13 out the door with the new
instrumentation ASAP. At least people will be able to start using
ust_mark() without fear that the carpet will be removed from under their
feet. ;-)