[ltt-dev] RFC LTTv TextDump

Julien Desfossez julien.desfossez at polymtl.ca
Wed Nov 24 17:49:50 EST 2010

On 24/11/10 03:43 PM, David Goulet wrote:

>> The problem is having the full path, a short "id" when interleaved
>> events are there would be useful (something about hostname and CPU)
>
> Yep exactly. Just to make it easy to read and easy to refer.
>
> I've also though of a small thing we could add is the time offset in
> nsec (or sec..) between two events.
>
> [...]
> event 1 (+4)
> event 2 (+7)
> [...]
>
> So that way we know *very* quickly what time it took from event 1 to
> event 2 which is 7. Considering a UST trace, this would be of great use!!
>
> We only need someone to do it now :)

While we are in the dream features, I would also like to see a way to
pass a format string to the program to choose how the output is
formatted (like the "date" program). For example "%t : %c, %e" to output
"timestamp : channel, event". That way the output would suit everyone's
need and specific parsers could be implemented on top of that.

Julien