[ltt-dev] urcu library name-spacing

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Sun Nov 14 11:29:37 EST 2010

Hi Paul,

We're currently deploying UST (and thus urcu) into MariaDB (it's also deployed
in qemu), and it looks like there are some of our primitives that are causing
namespacing clash, e.g.

list_add
list_del

etc.

So I was wondering how we could proceed to change the namespace to something
that is not too confusing. Using a "rcu_" prefix is out of question, because it
would confuse "rcu-related" primitives (e.g. a primitive designed to be used in
a rcu read-side C.S. or update) with userspace-rcu-related primitives.

E.g., for list.h, we don't want to name these "rcu_list_add" if they are not
RCU-aware.

This would apply to other primitives, e.g.:

barrier()
smp_mb()

So I would not want to use a prefix that is too long neither.

So far, for the atomic operations, I've simply done:

atomic_op() -> uatomic_op() (simply prepending a u). Do you think we could use
this technique for the rest ? (e.g. ulist_add, usmp_mb, etc)