[ltt-dev] Experiments on CPU time statistics

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Thu Nov 11 13:59:44 EST 2010

* Francis Giraldeau (Francis.Giraldeau at USherbrooke.ca) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing some experiments with CPU statistics, and I think that those
> computed by lttv are wrong. I did 3 tests, and for each command the time
> utility was used to get a baseline, and the command has been run between
> lttctl -C and lttctl -D to get a tight window around the test process.

> trace-bonnie.sh : start bonnie++ process for 10s
>
> time statistics:
> real	0m10.715s
>
> user	0m0.420s
>
> sys	0m6.350s
>

> lttv statistics:
>
> events count        : 11088588
>
> cpu time            : 80.051904112

cpu time should be good. How many cores does you machine have ? 8 ?

> elapsed time        : 544.593369365

Elapsed time is the total of the per-thread elapsed time I think (it's
really been a while since I played with this code though). It would make
sense if you have 54 threads in your system.

I don't have entire confidence that the elapsed time is correct.

> cumulative cpu time : 6.747053976

cumulative cpu time is known to be wrong.