[ltt-dev] Problem on combine kernel trace and userspace trace.

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 3 11:13:37 EDT 2010

* Sam Liao (phyomh at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to combine the kernel trace and userspace trace, and it
> seems that the
> the userspace events can not be recognized to the right process with the kernel
> events. I'm not sure if this is a problem of timestamp between kernel
> and userspace.
>
> Here is the environment I'm using:
> ----
> Linux Trace Toolkit Visualizer 0.12.35-20082010
> linux kernel 2.6.34.6
> ust-0.4. ( I update the clock to use clock_gettime).

If you are on x86 or powerpc, using the clock source that does not use
clock_gettime would directly read the timestamp counter value, which
should work. Make sure your architecture (on x86) has synchronized
contant TSCs. LTTng complains about using a work-around in dmesg if it
is not the case. If lttng uses the workaround on x86, then there is
currently no mean to gather synchronized ust-lttng traces. As Julien
said, we're currently working on a vdso solution to make this all work.