[ltt-dev] debian packaging

Jon Bernard jbernard at debian.org
Wed May 26 11:27:08 EDT 2010

* kerstin.jonsson <kerstin.jonsson at ericsson.com> wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 05:23 PM, Jon Bernard wrote:
> >* kerstin.jonsson<kerstin.jonsson at ericsson.com>  wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I have added a "deb" target to the ust and lttv make files, to
> >>enable build of debian packages, I also did some minor changes to
> >>the documentation - NB! not the contents, only to enable deb install
> >>of the manual as info pages.
> >>
> >>This is something that I did only for our own convenience, (i.e. the
> >>debian control files needs more work before these patches can be
> >>made public) we are using pbuilder to create boot images for
> >>different targets and then it's neat to have everything installable
> >>from deb packets.
> >>
> >>Is this something that may be of interest? I'd be happy to mail the
> >>patches. Or is the intention to keep the packaging separate from the
> >>source tree?
>
> Hi again, sorry! I was interrupted.
>
> >Hi Kerstin, thanks for your interest! I'm more than happy to
> >collaborate on the debian packaging.
> >
> >I much prefer to keep the debian packaging development separate from
> >upstream development. The git repositories for this are hosted at
> >http://git.debian.org/ Ust and liburcu are available in Debian
> >unstable and testing, but if you need packages for lenny, let me
> >know. I should be able to backport them with little effort.
>
> We are using testing and unstable but the problem we wanted to solve
> was to have a simple way of including our own modifications to UST
> into the boot images we create for the target machines. LTTV, however,
> is a different matter, we will not do any modifications to lttv and
> then it's very nice to be able to download the package directly. But
> still, testing and unstable is just what we're looking for.

The patches look quite good. With the exception of your manual/info page
modifications, the official packages should already include the changes
you've made. The debian repository for this work is found at [1].

I'll look into the info page changes and try to get something included
that works for you. Was there a specific reason for renaming the
manual.texinfo file?

[1]: http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/ust.git;a=summary

> >ltt-control is nearly done, I have a manpage or two to write and it will
> >be ready for upload. I can push a snapshot of this effort to a git
> >repository if you're interested.
>
> We most certainly are:D

I've uploaded ltt-control and it's currently waiting in the NEW queue
for review [2]. I've also pushed a snapshot of the packaging work to [3]
if you're interested.

[2]: http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/ltt-control_0.86-19052010-1.html
[3]: http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jbernard/ltt-control.git;a=summary

--