[ltt-dev] simultaneous lttng kerner tracer and userspace tracer

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Thu Jun 10 09:49:49 EDT 2010

* Holger brunck (holger.brunck at keymile.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/10/2010 01:50 PM, MEKEZE KWATCHO, PATRICK (PATRICK) wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I see well the kernel event and the testprogramm process when I analyze the trace1 get with $ lttctl -C -w /tmp/trace1 trace1
> >
> > I also think that is it possible to start a userspace trace without using the usttrace tool.
> > When I run $usttrace ./testprogramm and $ lttctl -C -w /tmp/trace1 trace1, I saw on the lttv-gui all the kernel event, but i didn't see my userspace event.
> > Among the process, both usttrace and testprogramm are present.
> >

> hm, is the ltt_userspace_event kernel module loaded?

ltt_userspace_event is not needed for ust. It's only there to enable the
debugfs "write_event" file, where a userspace application can write a
string, which generated a userspace.event event. This is a "poor man's"
userspace tracer that saves the trace data within the kernel stream in
the "userspace" channel.