[ltt-dev] UST - Problems in recording trace on a current process

soumyakanti chakraborty soumyakanti.chakraborty at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 20:55:29 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Pierre-Marc Fournier <
pierre-marc.fournier at polymtl.ca> wrote:

> soumyakanti chakraborty wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Pierre,
> >
> >     >>>What do you see in the trace directory (the one that doesn't
> >     work)? What
> >     >>>files and are they zero size or do they contain something?
> >
> >     Yes, they are of zero size. Its actually zero byte.
> >

> > Hi Pierre,
> >
> > I did a manual trace with Firefox and received the following errors
> > pasted in the below link -
> >
> > http://pastebin.ca/1805238
>
> There are some remaining issues with tracing of multi-process
> applications. Firefox, because of its complexity, is a very good torture
> test. I will dig into this this week. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for that, I think that will help.

> > Like Naren, I also received some directories which has no traces inside
> > /tmp/usttrace, those directories had a 0 byte metadata_0 file. Just to
> > know if the above errors has something to do with no significant results
> > getting displayed in lttv during batch analysis.
>
> Not sure if I understand what you mean. Batch analysis is the framework
> on which the lttv textdump plugin is based. Do you mean you get nothing
> in text dump? Or in your own custom plugin based on batch analysis.
>
> Normally you should at least get events for tracefiles that have
> non-zero size.

Yup, we are getting events for tracefiles which are non-zero in size. I was
mentioning that if a application spawn 5 other processes, in some of the pid
folders we are getting a 0 byte metadata_0 file, which I think is absolutely
fine as those parts didn't do any sorts of work (Like the python extension
scripts of GIMP).

Just another thing bit different from the above discussion, I just
downloaded UST from the git and tried to install but during "make" it
shooted the following error given below -

*libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../include
-I../libustcomm -DUST_COMPONENT=ust_snprintf -fPIC -g -O2 -MT
libustsnprintf_la-snprintf.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/libustsnprintf_la-snprintf.Tpo -c snprintf.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
.libs/libustsnprintf_la-snprintf.o
snprintf.c:39:26: error: ust_snprintf.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [libustsnprintf_la-snprintf.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ust/snprintf'

*There was a update in git "*use signal safe ust_safe_snprintf()* " .. 6
days back in which the commitdiff shows that +noinst_HEADERS = share.h
usterr.h ust_snprintf.h getting added in the *Makefile.am. *Could this be
the reason for getting the above error during installation ?

Regards,
Soumya