[ltt-dev] [BUG] libtraceread ppa breaks JNI for tracefiles of versions other than 2.6

Matthew Khouzam matthew.khouzam at ericsson.com
Thu Dec 16 17:04:03 EST 2010

On 10-12-16 02:58 PM, Alexandre Montplaisir wrote:
> On 10-12-16 02:07 PM, Matthew Khouzam wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> here's a problem I found:
>> install libs for liblttvtraceread v2.3/2.5 and 2.6.
>> then install the lttng ppa jni libtraceread
>>
>> TMF no longer can read older traces.
> That's without using any kind of LD_PRELOAD right?
> Try moving your traceread and traceread-loader .so files for versions
> 2.3 and 2.5 from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib
>
>> Potential solution: include all 3 libtraceread files in the .deb.
> Can't really be done without too much hassle, given 2.3 and 2.5 are
> simply older version of the whole program.
> An alternative is to provide different packages for diffeent versions of
> the lib. This is planned for future versions (liblttvtraceread-2.6,
> liblttvtraceread-2.7, etc.)
>
> Now I expect your next question : is it be possible to package 2.3 and 2.5 ?
>
> A : Everything's possible! Is there enough usage that justifies doing so?

How about this question: If I supply the source for 2.3 and 2.5,
assuming that a use case for TMF is to support multiple trace versions,
how much work would it be to fix this? The main reason is that if we
don't, TMF fails over 50% of the LTTng test cases.
Anyway, there's no harm done yet, I will discuss this further when I
have a pretty solution to propose.