[ltt-dev] Some LTTng 0.43 issue on ARM

Ajit R ajitrzid at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 06:17:20 EDT 2009

Hi Bryan,
 My replies with the [Ajit] tag.
LTT Gods correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Ajit

--- On Fri, 7/31/09, Bryan Hsieh <bryanhsieh at fihspec.com> wrote:

> From: Bryan Hsieh <bryanhsieh at fihspec.com>
> Subject: [ltt-dev] Some LTTng 0.43 issue on ARM
> To: "'ltt-dev at lists.casi.polymtl.ca'" <ltt-dev at lists.casi.polymtl.ca>
> Cc: "Tommy Peng" <tommypeng at fihspec.com>
> Date: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:19 PM

> Hi Mathieu,
> all,
>

> I’ve ported
> LTTng 0.43 on Android successfully,
> but I am wondering if the result is correct, please help me
> to verify, thank
> you very much!
>

> My Traced
> machine:
>
> ARM11 (ARM1136J(F)-S) / Linux
>  2.6..27
> (Android 1.5)
>
> My
> visualization machine:
>
> X86 / Sun xVM Virtual Box (Unbuntu
> 8.10)
>

> LTTng: 0.43
>
> LTTV:
>  0.11.2
>
> LTT Control: 0.55

> connect to Android
> shell by ADB tool after Android bring up, then I command as
> following step, the
> command line options are different with LTTng manual,
> because the example in manual
> is for old version.
>

> # ltt-armall

[ Ajit ]
  ltt-armall is a shell script. It connects + arms the markers in the
kernel. So depending on your kernel + LTT version it would write some
"text" into the /proc/ltt directory  or a "1" into files in
 the debugfs directory.
  Make sure, the binaries for running the script are available in your target environment. For eg. awk, grep, sed etc. Busybox versions might have their limitations. If they do not work, you could do equivalent things on your Desktop and then write a simple script, doing the same on your target.
   Once you run "ltt-armall", you should see some debug statements in your "dmesg" like "connect" or "arm" etc.

> Connecting all
> markers
>
> Connecting high-rate
> markers to tap
>
> # lttctl
> -n trace1 -d -l /sys/kernel/debug/ltt -t
> /system/traces/trace1

[Ajit]
Not sure if your "-l" option is right. you have to point it to the place where you mounted your debugfs.

> Linux Trace Toolkit
> Trace Control 0.55-16102008
>

> Controlling trace :
> trace1
>

> Linux Trace Toolkit
> Trace Daemon 0.55-16102008
>

> Reading from debugfs
> directory : /sys/kernel/debug/ltt/trace1
>

> Writing to trace
> directory : /system/traces/trace1
>

> It
> seems the LTT control
> and daemon work fine. I run some scenarios for 1 minute on
> Android, but the trace
> files are still empty (all files length are
> 0)
>
> What’s
> wrong? Is
> there any step I missed? Or the LTT control and daemon
> don’t work?
>

> # ls
> -l  ../../sys/kernel/debug/ltt/
>

> drwxr-xr-x
> root
> root
>
> # ls
> -l
> ../../sys/kernel/debug/ltt/trace1

> root
> root
> 0

[Ajit]
If you have connected and armed it right, you should see the cpu_0
file increasing in size. After sometime, disconnect by running the
    ltt-control -n whatever-name -R
and then you will see files in the control directory (network, process, etc ) grown in size. Tar and move the trace directory to your host and do the needful.