[ltt-dev] LTTng 0.146, adds extra read-side sub-buffer for flight recorder

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at polymtl.ca
Wed Jul 15 09:57:47 EDT 2009

* Steven Rostedt (rostedt at goodmis.org) wrote:

> [...]
> > pointer to the reader subbuffer. Each of these pointers are pointing to
> > an array of pages, which are all the pages that constitute a subbuffer.
> > Reads/writes from/to the buffer are done by accessors which pick up the
> > right page location within this page table. By modifying the top-level
> > subbuffer pointer, we can swap a whole subbuffer in a single operation.
> >
> > There is a trick to deal with concurrency between writer and reader.
> > When the top-level subbuffer pointers are not used (no writer is
> > currently writing into it, no reader is reading from its subbuffer), we
> > set a RCHAN_NOREF_FLAG (value: 0x1) which indicates that no reference is
> > currently taken to this subbuffer. As long as this flag is set in the
> > pointer, it is safe for the reader to exchange it. When the writer needs
> > to access this subbuffer for writing, it clears the flag, and sets it
> > back after committing the last piece of data to it.
> >
> > When the reader figures out that the write-side subbuffer it is trying
> > to exchange has a reference, it fails with -EAGAIN.
> >
> > Nice things about the way I do it here:
> >
> > - I keep the separation between the space reservation layer and back-end
> >   buffer layer. The extra reader subbuffer exchange is done at the
> >   back-end layer. The reason why it took me so long to try to come up
> >   with something is that I tried to do it at the space reservation
> >   layer, which was not fitting well the space reservation semantics.
> >
> > - Keeping space reservation and physical buffer management separate
> >   helps splitting complexity into sub-layers easier to verify.
> >
> > - Given the space reservation/commit is separate from the subbuffer
> >   exchange per se, I don't need any special-cases for "if the tail
> >   pointer is in the reader page".... these things never happen because
> >   the reserve, commit and consumed counts are completely unrelated to
> >   the pointers to physical subbuffers.
>
> I don't yet have time to read the patches (not this week, anyway), but I'm
> assuming that you can only get the new page (swap) while a writer is not
> writing to it. Thus if it is not a full page, then you must either copy
> the data, or swap out a non full page. Not complaining here, just trying
> to understand it :-)
>
> Thus the trick is that you have a series of pointers to the data, and you
> swap out the data and not the list?  Hmm, actually the ring buffer is
> already like that and I probably could do the same.
>
> Here's another thing that the ring buffer does (and makes things a little
> complex too) is that it keeps track of the number of entries in the buffer
> as well as the number of overruns. The number of entries in the page is
> kept in the list data and not the data page itself.
>
> Using a special flag to switch out the data instead of breaking the link
> list may make things much simpler.
>
> Hmm, I'll take a round to make the ring buffer closer to what you have
> done. At this rate, we may finally merge the two to handle things that we

BTW, I just fixed a race I thought about in the commit path. Basically,
I had to find a way to make the subbuffer delivery happen only once per
subbuffer written without adding a local_add_return to the commit fast
path. I did it with a local_cmpxchg done only at potential subbuffer
delivery. It's detailed in the header of

lttng-relay-lockless-writer-use-noref-flag.patch

of LTTng 0.147.

Mathieu