[ltt-dev] about RCU

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at polymtl.ca
Fri Dec 11 08:22:59 EST 2009

* Guillermo Vigueras González (guillermo.vigueras at uv.es) wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was able to execute my code using your RCU library for a machine with
> 16 cores (64-bit 8 opteron processors) and the speed-up respect to the
> Mutex version is much better.
>
> My problem now is that I'm trying to execute it in a machine with 128
> cores (Intel Itanium architecture IA-64) but when executing the
> 'configure' from your source code everything is ok until it says:
>
> 'configure: error: Unable to detect the architecture.'
>
> Do you have any idea what could be the reason? Could it be possible to
> solve the problem and compile and link the userspace RCU for this
> architecture?

We have not created the suitable

urcu/arch_ia64.h
urcu/uatomic_arch_ia64.h

files yet. The other architecture we currently lack support for is
alpha.

We base our atomic primitives on libatomic-1.2 found in Hans Bohem
garbage collector, and modify these to offer an API similar to the one
provided by the Linux kernel.

Contributions are welcome. It can be hard for me to test these, given I
don't have access to ia64 hardware. I know some Ericsson collaborators
deal with ia64 hardware, so maybe they could be interested to contribute
in this area.