[ltt-dev] Problem when compiling UST from git

Pierre-Marc Fournier pierre-marc.fournier at polymtl.ca
Mon Dec 7 10:53:57 EST 2009

christian.charreyre at free.fr wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to use LTTng for kernelspace and userspace tracing.
>
> I've success compiled kernel 2.6.32-rc8 with LTTng patches, libkcompat, userspace-rcu, all from git (http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/).
>
> I can't compile UST picked at http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/?p=ust.git.
>
> Precisely, after bootstraping and configuring, I get an error in file marker.c in libust, and the error is :
>
> marker.c:1462: error: impossible constraint in ‘asm’
>

> I'm working with gcc 4.4.1 from Ubuntu 9.10.
> It seems that the asm behing __trace_mark can't be successfully compiled on my distro (macro _DEFINE_MARKER).
> As I don't understand this asm directives, can anyone give me a hint so I can correct what is necessary to use UST.

Are you using a 32 bit arch? The git tree is currently broken for 32
bits precisely because of this asm stuff. It is very high in my
priorities to fix this.

You can temporarily fix this by simply removing the asm() and the
save_registers() in _DEFINE_MARKER(). You don't need it, as it is only
for gdb integration, which is not released yet. The asm is a trick to
save the current code address.

Thanks.

pmf