[ltt-dev] LTT satus

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 1 14:37:57 EDT 2008

Hi,

Facilities are gone long ago. They used a XML description for events
which turned into C code using genevent, a C code generator. It was
rather hellish to keep in sync the kernel code with the XML
descriptions.

The markers are an in-kernel API (see include/linux/marker.h and
Documentation/markers.txt) which lets you describe your events in the C
code. The typing is expressed using a format string. It's automatically
saved in the trace at trace start/module load, so you don't have to take
care of such details by yourself : the meta information about events is
automatically exported through the trace.

Mathieu