[ltt-dev] LTTng kernel integration roadmap, update

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 28 07:58:09 EST 2008

* Andrew Morton (akpm at linux-foundation.org) wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:58:40 -0500 (EST) Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:
>
> > > The question that prevails is therefore : should we ship userspace
> > > binary with the kernel tree at all ? And if yes, how should the resuting
> > > executables be packaged and deployed ? Should it be installed in the
> > > system along with kernel modules or should it be populated into a
> > > filesystem populated by kernelspace ?
> > >
> > > Or is it better to do as we have always done and keep the userspace
> > > tools separated from the kernel tree ?
> >
> > I say keep the user space tools separate as much as possible.
>
> So...  we're now planning to build even more userspace tools into the
> kernel merely because we don't know how to deliver userspace tools in
> userspace?
>
> Worse, those kernel-based userspace tools will simply be presenting a
> textual form of something which the kernel already makes available in a
> binary form?
>
> This is so lame.
>
> Any proposal to fix all this will result in vast amounts of
> inconclusive chin-scratching again.  Last time this came up, we ended
> up with the old impractical put-it-in-util-linux chestnut.  I think the
> time has come for us to admit that this isn't working out.
>
> Mathieu, if you're feeling keen I'd suggest that you just type `mkdir
> -p userspace/lttng' and build your userspace tools in there.  One they
> are there and real, the issues around versioning, installation and
> delivery will still need tobe sorted out, but we need to start
> somewhere.

Yes, I like the idea of having a kernel-developer oriented version of
the userspace tools, which may not have packaging requirements as strong
as standard userspace packages. Just keeping them around with the kernel
build tree would be a good start, and we could probably go as far as
installing them along with the kernel modules in /lib/modules/`uname
-r`.