[ltt-dev] LTTng kernel integration roadmap, update

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Tue Nov 25 03:24:14 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 07:20:55AM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> The key idea behind this is to answer to Thomas Gleixner concerns, who
> supports that a tracer should output data in text-format only so it can
> be used with tools kernel developers have on their system, like "cat".

Last time I talked to Thomas and others it wasn't "text only" but text
also in that you can just cat a debugfs file for simple tracing.  And I
totally agree with that.  If you don't trace too much that's absolutely
enough.  It's not enough for large traces on highly loaded enterprise
or high-end embedded systems or things like flight recorder tracing, but
for those requiring an external viewer is just fine.