[ltt-dev] migrating from lttctl.40 to lttctl.47

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 14 17:41:37 EDT 2008

I guess the best way to find out what changes I've done to lttctl within
a whole year is to dig in the source, the mailing list and the
compatibility list on the ltt.polymtl.ca website, as I myself cannot
answer to this question without doing this process.

The best way for you would be to install both versions of lttctl, lttd
and lttv in different directories and to create a wrapper script which
detects the kernel version and uses the appropriate binary.

Note that the trace format have changed between the "xml event
description" based traces and the "marker" based traces. Therefore you
also need to upgrade lttv and maybe lttd too.

As a matter of fact, it's better for you to perform as few modifications
to the lttd, lttctl and lttv core as you can if you want to be able to
keep up with the newer versions when they appear, except, of course,
modifications send to upstream and well integrated in the project.

Mathieu