[lttng-dev] Debugging Libaries in Babeltrace 2

Simon Marchi simark at simark.ca
Wed Oct 25 11:31:07 EDT 2023

On 10/25/23 03:29, Seidl, Aron via lttng-dev wrote:
> Hi Simon,
> Thanks for your quick answer!
> I run GDB like this:
> gdb --args ./babeltrace2 /home/aron/Schreibtisch/kernel4 -o text
> (I'm in src/cli/.libs)

Don't do that (try to debug the binary in .libs directly).

> I don't think I've ever installed a System Version of babeltrace2, so it is really weird that GDB uses following library:
>
> 0x00007ffff7f36f00  0x00007ffff7f89749  Yes (*)     /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbabeltrace2.so.0
> (*): Shared library is missing debugging information.

It might have been installed as a dependency of another package, I don't
know.

> And you're absolutely right! That is the reason why I can't debug it.
> Is there a way to specify the library path? Because even with the libtool wrapper, GDB uses the release version of libbabeltrace2.so.0.

Can you run this *in the root of your build tree* and show the output?
We should see a path to libbabeltrace2.so inside your build tree.

$ libtool --mode=execute gdb -q -batch src/cli/babeltrace2 -ex start -ex "info shared"

Simon